A World Without Princes (The School For Good and Evil Book #2)





I finished reading this while I was in Malaysia to celebrate Lunar New Year... and I did not expect this to be such a wonderful AND deep read!

Here's the blurb from Goodreads:

After saving themselves and their fellow students from a life pitched against one another, Sophie and Agatha are back home again, living happily ever after. But life isn't exactly a fairytale. When Agatha secretly wishes she'd chosen a different happy ending with Prince Tedros, the gates to the School for Good and Evil open once again. But Good and Evil are no longer enemies and Princes and Princesses may not be what they seem, as new bonds form and old ones shatter.

Since the end of book one, the School has been turned into one that divides Boys and Girls into opposing factions! Quite a transformative move, I have to say.

We learn that the boys and girls have been kicked out of their respective Schools during the 'Eviction', forcing villains and heroes alike to join forces--but with their respective genders. Even the faculty members have been relocated into their new schools.

The School for Girls is headed by Dean Evelyn Sader, while the School for Boys is led by Tedros, who also happens to be the new School Master.

Using this plot device, the book addresses many issues relevant to current society: for example, the extreme feminist movement/regime that Dean Sader prides herself in teaching her fellow Girl students. Although I'm happy that the School for Girls is trying to convey the message of female empowerment, Dean Sader is totally stepping over the fine line separating extremism and equality. She constantly harps upon the fact that "boys are useless" and "should be slaves to girls." There is even one moment in the book describing a mural depicting Sophie and Agatha wearing matching diadems, standing in their castle and overseeing boys in tattered clothing and in shackles. This is an actual scene I read in the novel, people.

Then there's the other end: Tedros' and his army of boys. It's the complete opposite of Dean Sader's policies, but with a similar agenda in mind.
Now, Tedros' motivation behind such an agenda is slightly different from Dean Sader's. His ending from the previous book: left alone while Sophie and Agatha went back home, made me feel some pity for him. Naturally, he doesn't accept it: but what shocked me was what he did next.

Tedros places a bounty upon Sophie's head - simply speaking, promising a reward to whoever manages to kill her, just so he can get Agatha back. And in the process, kicking off a misogynistic ideology that scorns girls and women just as much as Dean Sader scorns boys and men.

That's reeeally extreme.

Basically, Tedros' impulsiveness throughout is what makes the events in this book spiral downward into total hell. (More on Tedros below!)

And then there are the other themes subtly inserted into the story. One I find striking - transgenderism. In the form of Tristan's (or Yara's) character. Yes folks, the mute, tall, lanky redhead with the rippling stomach and freckles on her face introduced to us in the fifth chapter. I won't spoil anything more about this character for those who have not read this... but his/her development is bittersweet :')


Moving on to characters: (just the main cast)


Sophie
 I've always seen Sophie as a self-centred, spoilt girl who is willing to do anything (and I mean anything) to get what she wants. She was one of my least favourite characters in Book 1, but after reading Book 2, my opinion tilted ever-so-slightly in the positive direction. In the beginning, she was still all about 'me, me, and me': trying every way she can think of to prevent Stefan and Honora's wedding, complaining that she has to help Honora churn butter (like come on, helping your stepmom can't possibly kill you...), or attempting to maintain celebrity status in the village. (She drags Agatha into her autograph signings and setting up her play about her and Agatha *but again, mainly herself.*)

And she tries to get in the way of Tedros and Agatha's blooming romance. At face-value, I thought: Why is she doing this again? Why can't she let them be happy? But as I read on, I slowly got to know Sophie's mind, and the reason for trying to keep Ted and Aggie apart - so she wouldn't be alone. It is hinted in the book that Sophie's mother (Vanessa) dies "alone and unloved," and Sophie doesn't want to end up like that.  As I read on, I could tell she was doing this all because she wanted a happy ending with her best friend. She put all her faith in Agatha, only to get betrayed. Sophie isn't the true villain in the book. (I don't think she has been the 'villain' in any of the books, since I bothered to look at the flip side of the coin each time.) In fact, I have to say that she becomes a victim in this story. So you see, she isn't just a vain and pampered girl. Sophie does have a story of her own that I can sympathise with.


Agatha
Long story short, she is my favourite character of all time. Even if she doesn't have the appearance of a typical princess, she is still good at heart. In Book 2, she does all she can to prevent the war between the boys and girls by offering herself to Tedros so Sophie and her don't get harmed. Even if she made a mistake (wishing for the ending with Tedros,) she tries to remedy that while she is in the School.

Although I was not too fond of Aggie becoming the common princess pining after her prince at the start (especially since this line: "Who needs princes in our fairytale?"), I could see the chemistry between her and Tedros. (It started in the first book!) Even if their relationship isn't smooth sailing, I'm sure they will work it out together in the end.

Also, one thing that kind of disappointed me was that she picked Tedros over Sophie when the crucial moment was here, intending to banish Sophie back to Gavaldon. (Not that I wanted Ted and Aggie to be apart - I ship them, just so you know) It's just that... in this book, everyone (Agatha included) paints Sophie as the Evil witch that needs to go so everybody else can be happy. So I felt that putting the blame on Sophie and trying to get rid of her, was an act of selfishness on Agatha's part. And that wasn't cool at all.


Tedros
I still found him to be as whiny and self-entitled at some specific moments, not only to our two main girls, the Boys included. As the latter' leader, he really put me off occasionally. 

But he was one of those characters whose development did change my outlook... just a little. Sure, he is brash and impulsive, but if you read on, he isn't just a typical arrogant Everboy as first seen in the first book. Despite the fact that his choices threatened death on either the Boys' or Girls' sides, we learn why he made these choices in the first place: so he wouldn't choose the wrong girl like he did last time (Sophie.) He wants to make sure that Agatha is true to her heart, but in the process, he doubts her loyalty. He has his own internal struggles too, and (not so) surprisingly, a sad childhood. And he's definitely learned his lesson on just focusing on one's outer appearance. This was what made me kind of change my views about him, even as I questioned his actions at times.



Dean Sader
Don't even get me started. She is one of my LEAST favourite, mostly owing to her misandrist attitude. Her being jealous of her brother (August Sader) is definitely a trivial reason to get so worked up over the male population in general. She is a total dictator to everyone, even the teachers.
(Is it bad that I'm happy she died in the end? 😂 )


Some notes on the supporting characters:
The 3 witches (Hester, Anadil, and Dot) are still awesome as ever. (Dot also has a nice physical change to her body!)
Aric is a bloodthirsty, savage, and sadistic boy *shudders*. He literally represents the darkness and cruelty of the world.
Tristan/Yara is a total cinnamon roll :')


I'm glad that Soman Chainani isn't afraid to weave in controversial topics into the story, and yet make it a very gripping one! I can't wait to know what happens next in the third book, after that jaw-dropping last chapter.

Stay tuned for my review on The Last Ever After!

Rating: 5/5 ⭐

Read my review on The School For Good and Evil here.

Comments

Popular Posts